Thursday, 30 May 2013

Aqueligias and Hostas


The garden seems to have had such a spurt at the moment, what with a bit of sun and a lot of rain everything seems to have just come at once. The Spring bulbs are STILL flowering, yes I do still have the odd daffodil flowering, The tulips have been great but soon get a bit battered with all this rain and wind, but the good old perennials are now shining through and with the lush green growth everywhere are really standing out.
















I only have the odd hosta in a pot, the rest I bake my egg shells (having chickens means we do get through a lot of eggs) I keep a enamel dish in the bottom of the oven and all shells get put into it.Once they have been baked a few times I crush the shells, they then get put around the Hosta's as the leaves are first emerging to stop the slugs and snails
































6 comments:

  1. What lovely blooms your Aqueligias have and your hosta look very lush.

    Thank you very much for your comment on my blog. I read it after working in the bedroom all day going through things, and it was just what I needed. "Rome wasn't built in a day".

    Love and hugs to you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lorraine,try not to work all weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos. I think the birds eat the slugs that dare to go near our hostas, perhaps as a thank you for all their food!
    Fabulous Aquilegias, they are such reliable plants too.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, we have some lovely thrushes that certainly help

      Delete
  4. Lovely colours and leaves. For some reason the hostas that are suffering most from slugs in my garden are the ones that are supposed to be the ones they like the least!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason this year I have been really lucky, I think the egg shells and thrushes help a lot though

    ReplyDelete