Wednesday, 8 May 2013

What a bit of sun can do

I keep managing to do little and often in the garden at the moment, everything is all growing at once weeds as well as plants. The problem now is fitting in all the watering in the greenhouses as well as everything else ,some plants are also doing the in and out the greenhouse to harden off. The main problem being frosts, I don't think we have seen the end of them yet. Isn't it funny, as gardeners our main pre-occupation is the weather? I was at a local gardening talk the other day where the roof was being thatched, word got down that the thatchers had said we were going to have a long hot summer, now whether that was wishful thinking on there part or something to do with the reed I don't know. Then a couple of days later, someone else tells me we are in for a dry May, I don't know about everyone else but the problem is you don't know who to believe. We did follow the weather from an on-line source for quite a while as they did seem to predict the right weather for a long time but then they didn't seem to get it right. Don't get me wrong I fully appreciate the weather has a mind of it's own and is always going to do it's own thing.
So this year the daffodils are flowering with the tulips, the fruit blossom is later but that can be a good thing, it might mean we get more fruit this year. For me I have been looking skywards constantly for the last 3 weeks, but yesterday I finally spotted them, house martins. They nest on our house every year and over the last couple of years have got a few days later, but this year they are over 3 weeks late. Fortunately they must have heard we have some warmer weather, it's not only the birds it has encouraged out though!


The first asparagus,they have been picking for the last 10 days in the fields around us. ours is always just that bit later


The potatoes just emerging from the weed suppressant membrane


Tulip "Flaming Spring Green" in front of Camellia jap." Lady Campbell", the camellia was a birthday present from my lovely gardening friend Chris,I did wonder if the blooms were going to show


Pelagoniums "Ardens" it is frost tender so still in the greenhouse, it has lovely red flowers with a deep black edge to to it.
Finally,some of my girls , enjoying the sun, hopefully eating all the bugs  under the fruit trees.



15 comments:

  1. Lucky you with the house martins. My asparagus hasn't poked one spear through yet. It was a new planting last year. If it doesn't appear that will be the last attempt by me to grow it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can take a few years to get going,even in the fields they don't pick it the first year but it will depend on how old the crowns were that you put in,good luck for this year

      Delete
  2. How neat to see your asparagus coming up, and your potatoes too. Love your tulips and Pelagoniums and your chickens look happy.

    Enjoy your day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks,have been away for a few days so late in picking my blog up

      Delete
  3. I think we're due a decent summer this year, how lovely that would be. We always had house martins nesting when I lived with my parents, they made their nest above my bedroom window and I could hear them chirping every morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They nest on the corner of the house by my sons window,then between our window and our neighbours,I don't hear a thing without my hearing aids so they don't disturb me at night

      Delete
  4. It is lovely to see the birds returning, don't have housemartins but have been watching the swallows.
    We had rain today and very misty, quite a bit cooler than recent days. I do agree we are unlikely to have seen the last of the frost. Weather is one of the nation's/our favourite pastimes.
    I saw a fruit farmer on TV the other day saying he had plum, cherry and apple trees all in flower together, never happened before.
    Gorgeous tulips and the chickens look happy to be enjoying the sunshine.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are seeing our first blackbird and dunnock chicks both late for the first brood,it is very strange things flowering at the same time

      Delete
  5. Yum yum asparagus...
    See you very VERY soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely weekend again,hope Italy is a bit warmer xxxx

      Delete
  6. So far we haven't tried potatoes through weed control fabric but as we have more to plant we may just have a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so low maintenance,you don't have to keep earthing up and it keeps the water in

      Delete
  7. Tonight's weather could not be further removed from the lovely evenings we enjoyed earlier this week. It's very wet, windy and cool but on the plus side it has saved on getting the watering can out. That pelargonium is a most glorious shade and looks most elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna,I have another one that is almost black which I will take a picture of when it flowers,we are lucky to have the National pelagonuim collection nearby

      Delete
  8. I loved seeing your asparagus! Our kids were eating it out of their garden today in Alberta~ we are in BC

    ReplyDelete