Thursday, 27 June 2013

Ironing in the garden !!!!

Working late shifts can have its advantages and disadvantages.The disadvantage being that you try to do a million and one jobs before you go to work, now I don't detest ironing but I must admit it is not one of my favourite jobs. So when sat in the garden eating my breakfast and going over the million and one jobs I need to do over the next two days and going to work on late shifts, I decided I would do the ironing outside rather than be stuck inside.
I would have much rather been getting some more of the plants in that need to go in, but I live in a house with two teenage sons and a hubby who wouldn't appreciate it too much if I just lived in the garden!!!!
So this is the view I ended up with


 The back faces north/west so I was stood in the shade for most of the time, there wasn't loads to do which was a shame really as I really enjoyed being part of nature. I have said before about a robin who visits us and he came to have a natter with me. The adult blackbirds carried on feeding their chicks, oblivious to me and my iron steaming away. I must admit to getting distracted by also making bread and spaghetti bolognese,cooking beetroot and new poatoes. So was still doing the typical more than one job at the same time, but do you know what, I really didn't mind. This is the view as you carry on up the garden


The old buildings to the right of this next picture are the old privvy, we have spilt it into two and one side is the coal store and the other the log store nearer the house. We have the main log store at the top of the garden but it is a long way down in the middle of winter. The lovely lounger you can see to the side of the privvy my son made for me to try to get me to rest in the garden and enjoy it.





This is where we like to sit for breakfast as it gets the sun first thing in the morning, it is also nice to sit here later in the day if you want some shade as the back of the house gets very hot (when the sun does shine !)
This is looking through the foxgloves from the decking area where the chickens are and fruit trees, we have 6 fruit trees in all a mix of apples and pears


There is a gate in the arch way but I leave it open to remind me I have the water on the tomatoes, I use a drip irrigation from the water butt, I will close the gate before going to work as we have foxes and then will also turn the water off.


This is standing at the gate and what I call the working area !!!!


This is standing past the shed in the last picture and next to the main log store, they are strawberries to the right, beans and peas to the left along with all the salad crops,squashes, onions,shallots,artichokes. We have stopped picking the asparagus now which is in the end of the bed to the left. The same with the rhubarb you can see in the right hand bed, there are raspberry canes past the rhubarb.
In the soil at the end of the raised beds there are potatoes to the left and blackcurrant ad gooseberries to the right.


These are the tomatoes in the one greenhouse enjoying there drip irrigation. There are 18 plants in all and most have tomatoes on. the other greenhouse has cucumbers, melons,peppers,chillies,aubergines and seedlings for later sowings.





I also had time to collect all of my tea for tonight from the garden


Salad leaves,courgette,spring onions,beetroot,carrot,broad beans and egg, along with some lovely strawberries

                  I hope you have enjoyed the tour of my back garden

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful garden, I certainly did enjoy the tour. It looks like you've got a really nice selection of plants in your borders, and a great sized vegetable plot. How lovely to be able to collect all the ingredients of your tea from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo,it is nice when you know where all your tea has come from

      Delete
  2. Your garden is stunning! I would never want to go indoors. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam,it is difficult to drag myself indoors sometimes

      Delete
  3. Hi, I have'nt visited your garden for ages. It's fab xxxx.
    Love to two teenage sons and hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao,hope you get picking those figs soon xxxxxx

      Delete
  4. A lovely garden - how big is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is 100m long Sue, it was all just lawn when we came 19yrs ago and has changed as the boys have grown.Hubby kindly keeps extending flower borders for me, the best thing he has done is make the raised beds double height as they are perfect for sitting and working.

      Delete