Friday, 9 August 2013

Courgette Recipes

There are so many different courgettes and squashes today's pickings




It is the first time I have grown these Patty Pan mixed but am really pleased with the different colours, the biggest one in the picture above is a Crown prince squash weighing 2.5kg!! The smaller courgettes are usually sliced length ways marinated in sweet chilli sauce and put on the bbq.With so many I have had to come up with some different ways of using them, one of the chef's at work suggested courgette and cumin soup, so I gave it a go and the end result was this


I had it with some Stotty Cake which if you see a previous post you will know it is actually a bread.The soup was just so easy to do, I made enough to use a courgette up and had enoughto go in the freezer too.
1oz butter
1 onion chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
3 tsp cumin   ( I tried one but felt it needed more)
5 oz potatoe peeled and cubed into 1cm cubes)
12oz courgette thickly sliced and quartered
3/4 pint chicken stock
1/2 pint milk

I melted the butter and sauted the onion, then added the cumin, stirred the potatoes and most of the courgette( I saved a bit for a garnish) I cooked all of this for a couple of minutes
Add stock,milk and seasoning,bring to the boil and simmered for about 10 mins until everything was soft.
I then pureed with a stick blender and then garnished with slices of the saved courgette.

Then for pudding, I do apologise taking this photo with the chocolate icing dripping but was going to work and new this cake would not be in one piece when I came back !!





Chocolate Courgette Cake, I did get this one on-line and there are many out there. Now I am not a great lover of chocolate cake but thought I had better taste this before I went to work as I new if the males in my house tasted courgette it would be a definite no no. You do not taste the courgette at all, you get a lovely crunch from the toasted hazelnuts and the cake is sooo moist and it has a really lovely rich chocolate flavour. If I haven't sold it to you I suggest you really must just try it yourself.

350gm Self raising flour
50gm cocoa powder
1 tsp mixed spice
175ml extra virgin olive oil
375gm golden castor sugar ( I didn't have any so used normal sugar)
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
500ml courgette grated ( measure by volume in jug)
140gm toasted hazelnuts

Icing
200gm dark chocolate ( I used milk as males in my house don't like dark)
100ml double cream

Oven Gas 4
24cm round tin lined with greaseproof paper

Combine flour,cocoa powder,mixed spice and 1 tsp salt
In another bowl combine olive oil,sugar,eggs,vanilla and grated courgette. Mix both lots of ingredients and then fold in hazelnuts.
Pour mixture into lined tin and bake for 40-50 mins until knife inserted comes out clean( I found it took about 70 mins) Cool in tin for 10 mins then turn out

Icing
Break chocolate into a bowl, bring cream to boil in a pan. Pour hot cream over the chocolate and stir until completely smooth. Leave to cool slightly until thickened , then spread over cake.
Enjoy with some crème fresh

6 comments:

  1. The cake looks delicious, so moist. My courgettes are just starting so I'm sure the glut will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needless to say Jo it didn't last long,good job there are plenty more courgettes,hope you had a good holiday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've added a link on my blog sideboard to courgette recipes I collected over the years can I add a link to you and use your cake photo as the link.

    By the way that Crown Prince is a strange colour I wonder if t has been up to the same as the courgettes which I will be posting about tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fine Sue, they were some seed someone sent me so can't guarantee they are correct,looking forward to your post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I've added the two recipes with links back to this post

      Delete
  5. Hi,

    We’ve recently launched the website Alldishes.co.uk. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from UK and Irish websites and blogs. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit http://alldishes.co.uk or send us an email on info@alldishes.co.uk. We look forward to hearing from you!
    Kind regards,
    Senka

    ReplyDelete