Thursday, 20 February 2014

Edible Flower

It is amazing what is in the garden and veg plot this time of the year, some things because although we have had a lot of rain it has been so mild. So in my veg plot we have

 
                Radicchio Variegato di Castelfranco for its correct name but also known as Edible Flower
A colleague at work saw this photo on my phone and said "O dear the slugs have been at that" It looks like a lettuce but when you look closer it has a serrated edge and deep wine stripes. Growing close by


Radicchio Rosso di Chioggia, a wonderful dark red and it has lovely white ribs, much more compact than its mate.So I decided to make tea with both of these, the challenge was I was on my good day so had to be low in calories. We had some chicken left over from Sunday dinner so with some of this I then cooked some noodles whilst I steamed the two Radicchio as I wanted them to retain some crispness.I then warmed the chicken up with some cherry tomatoes cut in half, tossed everything together and chopped some Italian parsley which is also still growing in the garden

Very tasty, the tomatoes took the bitterness away from the leaves, if I wasn't on a good day it would have been nice with some red wine vinegar and olive oil on.

Check out www.lovelygreens.com where she has a lovely post on unexpected edibles.




These are some of the pebbles I was telling you about in my last post.Some are still waiting to be finished but by the spring when we need them it looks as though we are going to have a lovely collection.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photos and STONES! I've made a few similar to those but they never made it into the garden. I think most are sitting in my friends' kitchen window sills :)

    Radicchio...grew it once but wasn't quite sure what to do with it since it was so bitter. Does steaming tone that down a bit? Pairing with tomatoes and other light veg sounds sensible as well.

    Thanks for the link share :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does tone it down but I think it helps with using sweet veg with it, we have done lots more stones now, just need to be able to start sowing to be able to use them

    ReplyDelete